If you can be in Washington, D.C. on Thursday, April 26, 2012 at 11:00 a.m., you can witness a stellar cast of LGBT advocates in the flesh at a rally being held to mark the introduction into Congress of The Social Security Equality Act of 2012, a bill to ensure that any couple that has any type of registered permanent partnership has access to survivor benefits under Social Security.
The new bill is being introduced by Congresswoman Linda Sanchez (D-CA), and she has lined up quite a list of leaders to celebrate the new bill, including:
- Actor and LGBT activist George Takei
- LA Gay and Lesbian Center CEO Lorri L. Jean
- NGLTF Executive Director Rea Carey
- SAGE Executive Director Michael Adams
- AIDS Community Action Foundation President Craig R. Miller
- Rock for Equality Spokeswoman Alice Herman
The press conference and rally will be held in what’s called the House Triangle, which is located on the House side of the Capitol’s east front. You can access a map with the spot marked by going to http://www.thedccenter.org/blog/2012/04/athe-social-security-equality-act-of-2012.html and clicking on their link to a map.